The rule of thumb (or I guess “ring finger”) for determining ring size is do not guess! We know that the surprise factor is important when it comes to the proposal, but it is strongly recommended that when you are “just browsing” for engagement rings that you have an experienced associate size the ring finger.
If you are going for total surprise, we have some ideas up our sleeve… just ask!
We have some interesting facts that will help you understand how we determine a ring size:
- Weather affects finger sizes. When it’s hot, fingers are generally more swollen. When it’s cold, or in an air conditioned environment, fingers are thinner.
- If you are dehydrated, your body will swell. If a ring is ever stuck, try chugging an electrolyte drink and using some Windex on your finger.
- Right and left hands can vary in size, so size the exact finger the ring will be worn on.
- Adding millimeter thickness to a ring will make it fit tighter. Adding a wedding band will make the engagement ring feel a bit tighter.
- Note that eternity rings (diamonds in a complete circle) cannot be sized after-the-fact and have to be ordered in the exact size to fit the finger.
- Certain alternative metals cannot be sized either.